Join other family & closely held companies and learn how to navigate many of the complex issues related to growing a successful and sustainable family and closely held business. It’s your opportunity to learn and network with others who are on the same journey as they strive to build wealth and create a lasting legacy.
Transitioning Your Wisdom and Your Wealth
On July 12th a distinguished group of family business owners and leaders of family-owned and closely held businesses in southeastern Wisconsin gathered for the third annual Family & Closely Held Business Summit, presented by BizTimes Media.
The morning event kicked-off with a keynote from Tom Deans, author of his best-selling book, “Willing Wisdom: 7 Questions Successful Families Ask.” Following Deans was a family business presentation featuring Ken and Jack Riesch of R&R Insurance. They shared their insights and strategies on remaining an independent, locally-owned agency. Attendees were then able to learn more with four roundtable discussions on family and closely held business topics.
Roundtable discussion topics included:
- Borrowing to Build: Grow Your Business, Build Your Legacy
- Dick Hensley, President – S.E. Wisconsin, National Exchange Bank & Trust
- Planning for Transition in Your Family Business
- Jacqueline Messler, Trusts, Estates & Succession Planning Attorney, Davis & Kuelthau
- Family Business Can Be Complicated – Retiring from it Doesn’t Have to Be
- Aaron Kowal, CFP®, Managing Director, Kowal Investment Group
- Is a family meeting right for me?
- Tom Deans Ph.D., Intergenerational Wealth Expert & Author of “Willing Wisdom,” Detente Financial Press Ltd.
- Are You Prepared to Live the Retirement and Leave the Legacy You’ve Always Wanted?
- Aaron Spitzner CFP®, Associate Financial Advisor, RJFS, Kowal Investment Group
- Is your cyber security program on the back burner?
- Tom Kaczmarek, Director, Center for Cyber Security Awareness and Cyber Defense, Marquette University
- Life after Sale: What can you realistically expect after you exchange your business for cash?
- Tim Van Pelt, President – Trust Division, National Exchange Bank & Trust
- Secure Your Secrets, Button Up Your Brands, and Patent to Protect Your Profits
- James Lowe, Jr., Intellectual Property Attorney, Davis & Kuelthau
- Value Determination and Improvement Strategies
- Nancy Mehlberg, CVB, Principal, SVA
- The Greatest Untapped Potential of the Family Business – Healthy organizational and family dynamics
- Steve Riege, President, Ovation Leadership
- ESOP, A great succession plan but not for every business
- Paul Haislemaier, Chairman & Founder, TRC Global Mobility
- The Family Retreat: The Shully Family discusses how getting away helps them to plan better
- Dr. David Borst, Executive Director and Chief Operating Officer, Family Business Legacy Institute
- If you’re failing to plan, then plan to fail
- Joe Weitzer, Ph.D., Dean, Center For Business Performance Solutions
- Rewarding Your Key Management: Bonus Plans
- Joel Nettesheim, CPA, Principal – Business Advisory Services, SVA
- Strategic Acquisitions – The Playbook of Successful Acquirers, including the Seller’s Prospective
- Robert Jansen, co-founder and managing director, Bridgewood Advisors
- Re-Defining Roles and Creating Guiding Principles
- Karen Vernal, President, Vernal Management Consultants, LLC & Cheryl Juech, consultant
- Managing Non-Competes – Are Yours enforceable?
- Laurie Meyer, Labor & Employment Attorney, Davis & Kuelthau
- Selling is simple it’s just not easy
- Chuck Zamora, Zamora Training
- Family Philanthropy – How Families Carry on Their Values through Charitable Giving
- Mark E. Maurice, MBA, CFRE, philanthropic adviser, Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Mary Kay Mark, Director of Gift Planning