The annual awards salute people and organizations who are making a positive difference on the front lines of health care.
This year's winners, by category, are:
Advancements in Health Care
* Dr. David Baker, professor and associate chair of biomedical Sciences at Marquette University and founder and Director of Promentis Pharmaceuticals.
* Dr. Amy Vaughan Van Hecke, assistant professor of psychology at Marquette University and director of the Marquette Autism Clinic.
* Dr. Joshua Field, associate medical director at the BloodCenter of Wisconsin and associate investigator with the Medical College of Wisconsin and Froedtert Health.
* Dr. Michael L. Malone, director of geriatrics at Aurora Health Care and professor of Medicine at University Wisconsin school of medicine and public health.
* Dr. Stanya Smith, medical director of Multiple Sclerosis Clinic at ProHealth Care Neuroscience Center.
* Debbie Donovan, manager of the Sexual Assault Treatment Center at Aurora Health Care.
* Darren Horndasch, president and chief executive officer of Wisconsin Vision, Inc.
* Bill Solberg, director of community services at Columbia St. Mary's.
Health Care Staff
* Ernest Colburn, patient care supervisor at Wheaton Franciscan Health Care-St. Joseph.
* Gina Wheeler, operations director for Milwaukee Center For Independence L.I.F.E. Services.
* Peggy Lohr, registered nurse at Columbia St. Mary's Regional Burn Center.
* Yvonne Kraker, director of nursing for Catholic Health initiatives South Milwaukee assisted living facilities: Franciscan Garden, Franciscan Villa and Franciscan Courts.
* Daniel Hernandez, public safety officer at Marquette University.
* First Responder team of Oak Creek.
* First Responder team of Brookfield.
* Michael Hoffmann, hospice companion at Horizon Home Care and Hospice.
* Mary Czerwinski and family for their support of the Columbia St. Mary's Huiras Family Ozaukee Community Health Clinic in honor of her late brother, Anthony Czwerwinski.
The winners were selected by a panel of judges in the health care industry. The recipients will include special "Editor's Choice" awards saluting the police and paramedics who responded to the shootings in Oak Creek and Brookfield.
The Health Care Heroes will be profiled in the Dec. 17 edition of BizTimes Milwaukee magazine and will be honored at a breakfast on Friday, Dec. 14, at 7:30 a.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Wauwatosa. The public is invited to attend. To register to attend, visit www.biztimes.com/hero.